Sunday, April 10, 2011

Arts Explorer #2: Instant Sculpture With Found Objects

It’s always hard to imagine an object for a different use other than its purpose. Both the process and product play an important part in the development of my instant sculpture. My sculpture represents the process of manipulating the materials and experimenting with them to create a piece of art regardless of the end result.
 My first instinct for my sculpture was to create an object that defines an important characteristic of me. My sculpture is a trophy. I crafted my sculpture using recycled items around my house. The materials consisted of coloured pencil crayons, paper, glue, tape, styrofoam, a recycled water bottle, and old soccer medal and candle. I decided to create my sculpture with a water bottle base to give the structure height, and added colour to the sculpture with pencil crayons sticking them around the water bottle. Glue and tape were used to intact the objects together structure, an old soccer medal was used to invoke value and lastly, the styrofoam held the number one symbolizing “ a gold medal” the highest level of achievement.
It represents determination, motivation and will power. Through the process of completing a set goal I will reach the end of my goal as I never give up, thus attaining the “trophy” as an achievement. The trophy is only valuable if there is a story retelling the process of achieving the product. The process of reaching a goal begins with the self and ends with a reward. The symbolic representation of the trophy allows me to take pride in my achievements when I attain my goal, no matter the result, I always find my achievements successful.
The element of art that my sculpture represents is design and composition where the finished product is less of a concern. According to Schirrmacher & Fox (2009), “design or composition is the overall mark or success, the standard of achievement, and the frosting on the cake” (p.142). 

Future ECE implications for sculpting can enhance a child’s aesthetic creativity. Children create sculptures and art creations regardless of their product. The most important aspect of their creation is the long process it took to create it. Thus, children can take away a successful achievement from their art creations regardless of the product.


References            

Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009).
Art and creative development for young children (6th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Delmar.                                                                  
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment