Thursday, April 14, 2011

Art Explorer #9: Guerilla Art

Guerilla Art.

WHAT DO I DO? This question constantly fazed me as I stumbled on a creative idea. However the criterion of Guerilla art provided me with variety and choice of which art method to choose, some of which I had already implemented without knowing so. I am a big fan of leaving post it notes around for others to view and create an opinion on. I decided to create posit it art using construction paper for a bigger image and post them on the side walk on my street. I was inspired by this guerilla art to experiment the same…



It surprised me how many of my neighbors passing by with their dogs, or going for a jog, stopped and stared at my guerilla art. I stood on my porch watching as a few neighbors would pass by house in the morning when most of my neighbors are out for their walk, or on their way to work.

I created a huge post it art and put two hand prints one on each piece of construction paper and on the back I wrote  “caught you - guerilla art”.

My guerilla art included a good karma vibe as I caught individuals actually stopping and looking at the paper. I guess neighbors really can be nosey.
I posted it on one sidewalk cement square, almost forcing who ever walked by to stop and look.
I caught this person looking at my guerilla art...



 

The element of art used in this activity was space. I used positive space with my hand prints and the negative space was what was left over. According to Schirrmacher & Fox (2009) “space is determined by the size of the canvas, be it paper, cardboard, wood, or a shoe box…positive space is the space taken up with lines, colors shapes and forms…negative space is the space left between or surrounding the subject matter, symbols or shapes” (p.142-143).

Future ECE teachings can incorporate guerilla art in the classroom by giving children the opportunity to create an idea following the criteria of guerilla art. Educators can present children’s art work around the classroom which would make them feel included in the classroom. By posting children’s creative works around the school, makes their work feel valuable.


References


Schirrmacher, R., & Fox, J.E. (2009).
Art and creative development for young children (6th Ed.). Belmont, CA: Delmar.  


http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/4996741526_57a9d5682c.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment